14 Sep Use it or lose it with Software Assurance!
Use it or lose it with Software Assurance!
Are you a Microsoft Enterprise License or Volume License customer? If so, ensure you’re not missing out on the many benefits that come with Software Assurance. Since you have already paid for Software Assurance, why not use the features such as:
• software updates,
• and Deployment Planning Services, which we will discuss in more detail in this post.
What is it?
Software Assurance is a support period for Microsoft software purchased either as an Enterprise Agreement or otherwise in bulk for your company’s use. During the life of the Software Assurance plan, it includes rights to the latest software versions purchased, end-user and IT Pro training, problem resolution support, Planning Services Days, plus other useful features for various kinds of enterprise deployments. See Microsoft’s Software Assurance FAQ for more details.
Would I have it?
Software Assurance is included with the following agreements/licencing options:
• Enterprise Agreement / Subscription
• Open Value Non Company-Wide
• Open Value Non Company-Wide & Subscription
Software Assurance is available as an optional purchase with Open License and Microsoft Products & Services Agreement. Check with your Microsoft reseller or refer to your Volume Licensing Agreement for exact details as benefits vary between regions and offering.
Planning Services is another benefit of Software Assurance. Microsoft or Microsoft Partners can assess your organisation’s needs and assist in planning deployments of Microsoft solutions. Your chosen Planning Services Partner will work with you to understand your needs, priorities, and software/services available. This will ensure that you get the most of out your Software Assurance agreement.
Using your Planning Services days, you can engage a Planning Services Partner at no cost to you for advice and assistance with both local and cloud based deployments of Microsoft software. This includes:
• Office 365 FastTrack Planning
• Windows environments and software development environments
• public and private cloud solutions
• and communication software deployment of Skype and SharePoint.
Planning Services are available as part of the following offerings:
• Desktop Deployment Planning Services (DDPS)
• Developer Tools Deployment Planning Services (DTDPS)
• Dynamics Deployment Planning Services (DYDPS)
• Skype for Business and Exchange Deployment Planning Services (S&EDPS)
• Private Cloud, Management and Virtualization Deployment Planning Services (PVDPS)
• Public Cloud, Microsoft Azure Deployment Planning Services (AZDPS)
• SharePoint Deployment Planning Services (SDPS)
• SQL Server Deployment Planning Services (SSDPS)
See Microsoft’s Planning Services website for more details.
Use them or lose them!
Planning Services (measured in Days) are available with all volume-licensing options except Open License. The important thing to remember though is that they expire when your Software Assurance agreement does, even if you have not taken advantage of them! Planning Services are available in engagements of 1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 days, with the exact number available for you to use varying based on your licensing agreements, and the software and quantity purchased.
To see how many Planning Services days your organisation is eligible for go to Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC); for customers on a Microsoft Products & Services Agreement instead, use the Microsoft Business Center. These websites provide step-by-step instructions for accessing and using Planning Services.
Of course, engaging the Planning Services Partner for the longer periods of 10 or 15 days (2 or 3 working weeks) means that you need to plan the engagement within your organisation much more. Make sure to arrange your Planning Days early before your agreement expires so you can still get the most use out of it!
As a Microsoft Silver Partner, CT4 has the knowledge and experience in cloud technology (it’s even in our name!) to give help you get the most out of your DPS Days! Drop us a line. Engage us as your Planning Services Partner!